Everyday I try to think of 10 ideas. Sometimes interesting, sometimes thought provoking, and often enough pretty stupid. The point is to get the brain thinking, to exercise the brain muscle.
None of these have been researched. All of them are original, as in I thought of them, but many may not be novel, as you know what they say, geniuses think alike 🙂
Since ideas are useless if you don’t share them with the world, I decided to post them here. If you like any of them, go for it, make them a reality. If you ever want to chat about any of them with me, just look me up on sdbr.net or read my latest ideas on datarig.com. Thanks for reading!
Here are my ideas for August 28, 2017:
- A combination of an Android app and hardware that allows businesses to give their employees a way to communicate with each other and interact with the corporation. The idea is to replace the walkie talkies businesses commonly use with an all IP system that also does video chat, text, and is smart enough to know where each employee is at any given time. First Steps: see what is available at the moment, make a software prototype based on standard hardware to pitch and test at a store
- A mechanical fan that uses an actual traditional fan that swings back and forth. An elaborate belt driven mechanism would provide power. The goal it to create airflow with minimum (preferably zero) noise. First Steps:This is something I actually want for myself, so I am going to build it first and we will go from there.
- Electric Skateboard with a tether so you can go much further and carry the battery in a backpack. The tether can use a magnetic connection with a relay system that disconnects the power in case of detachment. The board can have a primary small battery for 10 mile range. The backpack battery is for longer trips. First Steps: Build a prototype and try it out.
- Solar panels with water pipes on the back part of the panel to both heat water and produce electricity at the same time. PV modules are at peak efficiency when they are cold, so the more you can cool down a PV array, the more power it will make. The water pipes on the back could be used as preheaters for the hot water tank or for the pool. First Steps:Build a prototype, check patentability.
- Security camera that can be screwed into a light socket, comes with it’s own LED light, power adapter, ethernet over power connection, and camera. Designed to quickly add cameras to an older building. Central DVR records the feed. Offer cloud backup. First Steps: build a prototype using commonly available components, even if it doesn’t fit into a socket, test in various locations, check patentability.
- Story (book / movie) about a digital heist that involves cutting via timed explosives most of the underwater cables in the world. Most of the world’s internet communicates via underwater fiber optic cables, and these cables are largely unsecured due to the vast distances they span. They are hard to find for that reason as well, but with new remote controlled and inexpensive deep dive submarines it’s a very doable task to find most of these. The story would center around a crew that finds most of these cables, and plants long dated timed explosive collars on each, set to blow and cut the cables on a specific date and time, months away. When the internet as a whole goes down, the crew goes to work. It’s an interesting story to tell, because it’s an attack vector that we haven’t seen yet, and it’s not something we are currently prepared for. First Steps: write an outline and character treatments.
- Journal design company with scanning service. Pen and paper journaling is all the rage nowadays. But once you are done with a paper journal, you have to store it, move it, etc. This service would allow you to send in your paper journal, it would be sliced, scanned, and shredded. You would receive a PDF copy of your journal with a video of the whole process from start to finish, so you can be assured that no one was reading your private work. The company would sell their own high end journals, where part of the purchase price includes the scanning fee. First Steps: something like that must already exist, but not with the video component. Maybe do a soft pitch and see if anyone like the idea on line.
- Professional speech writing service with notes on the presentation for corporate executives. The site will link freelance writers with executives. Most executives are terrible at jokes, timing, or communication. The site would ask the client several questions to judge the mood and style of the event, and link the client with a professional speech writer or comedian that would help the executive rewrite or improve their speech. Optionally, the speech writer would record their own performance of the speech, to help with timing and presentation tips. This can be an inexpensive or a high end service, depending on the budget and the quality of the work. First Steps: check if something like this already exists, or if there are alternative services. Talk to speech writers and find out how they find clients currently.
- LiFe based PSU / UPS for desktop builders or servers. LiFe is a superior battery technology for UPS applications by comparison to Li Ion or Lead Acid. Further, by making a UPS that can directly feed 12V, 5V, and 3.3V (possible 24V for some applications) rails of a desktop or server you are saving a lot on components. First Steps: last time I looked for something similar was 5 years ago, things have changed since then, check if this exists already, if not, make a simple prototype.
- Chrome plugin that allows you to discuss anything on any page. The function is simple, basically a plugin that uses the website’s URL as the key to organize discussions, and let’s you discuss this page with other users, even if the page itself doesn’t allow discussion. Basically like a Reddit thread for every page you visit. First Steps: make a prototype, perhaps use Reddit for the backend.